Friday, October 7, 2011

Finding The Happy!


Today I've decided to link up with Jen over at Just Jennifer.  Especially since it's been a crazy hectic week..or month, rather, since the start of Kindergarten and Big T really NOT wanting to go.  His exact words are "It's so boring...the teacher just talks, blah, blah, blah."  Basically this all-day kindergarten that our gov't has implemented is too much for my 'lil guy and a lot of others as I'm finding out through various grapevines. 

But this is the Friday to be grateful and find something positive about this past week and focus on that.  It's actually quite fitting too as we're just at the beginning of our Thanksgiving Day weekend...(in Canada, in case you're saying to yourself "What the...")

Because of Big T's reluctance to go to kindergarten and how genuinely upset he is by it, Hubby & I have decided to implement our own gradual entry to the full day part of it, and so for the time being I will be picking up Big T at noon.  He was this way with the start of preschool and it didn't take long before he was running in without barely a notice to me.  So I know it'll be the same.  You can't force my boy into anything...he digs his heels in deeper than I've ever seen any child do.

I've only picked him up early a couple of days this week and he's already a happier boy.  The first day I picked him up, he was so pleasant with his brother and me.  We had a picnic lunch on our living-room floor; he was willingly sharing with his 'lil bro, but the biggest thing that made me happy was he actually tried a cheese stick.  He didn't like it and gave a shudder, but that's besides the point.  For most this wouldn't be a big deal, but for my Big T, it's huge!  Cheese has basically never passed through this child's lips since birth!  He's not one to try new things (unless it comes in a chip bag) even with the juiciest bribe.  So that afternoon made up for all the whining and crying that occurs on our way to school and also the clinging to me as I'm trying to get his younger brother off to preschool. 

Oh, and the tv's been off more in the afternoons too and we've taken to some major colouring, etc.  What's not to be happy about that?  One less cartoon to listen to makes for one happy mama.

There's actually a lot of things to be grateful for each and every day, but that's my choice for this "Terrific, Grateful & Important Friday". 

Thanks, Jen, for reminding me to find the happy and not to focus on the things that drive me crazy!  'Cuz a crazy mom is just not good for anyone.

"I am absolutely blessed and I'm very grateful for where I am today."
Geri Halliwell



5 comments:

Mommy2¢ said...

You are right - there are actually quite a bit to be thankful for. I'm really bad about sometimes focusing more on the negative vs. the positive! I am getting better at it though...well, some days I am! ;^) I just always try and remind myself that life could always be worse. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving weekend!!

Just Jennifer said...

Well good for you! So glad you linked up! :-)

Jenn@Fox in the City said...

Ah, the funny thing is I am having the exact opposite problem. We don't have the all day, every day kindergarten at our school yet but that is exactly what my Little Miss wants. She cries and whines on the days that she has to go to daycare . . . even though she is there with 2 or 3 of her closest friends.

Thanks for joining up with the linky!

The Sisters' Hood said...

Funny, we gave up most tv nearly four years ago other than movies or shows the kids pick up at the library or ondemand stuff ...do.not.miss.those.cartoons!!!

Sandra said...

You're right, it's best not to push a kid who is a heel-digger. Sounds like you are such a fab mommy! Good for you for spending so much time with your children!