Sunday, June 10, 2012

Secret Mommyhood Confession

I make 3-4 meals for dinner.

I know.  I know.  Don't say it.  I'm crazy.  I should make only one lovely and nutritious meal that my entire family will happily devour, saying words like "Mmmm, this is amazing!"

In this house, it's just impossible.

IM-POS-SI-BLE!  (Sorry, that comes from Kindergarten home-reading - "sound it out!")

I never stood a chance really at making one delicious and "amazing" meal and serving up four plates of the same thing.  And it's not because I can't cook.  I can cook.  Ask my girlfriend who is now enjoying my creations because no one else in my family will try them.  Well, except 'Lil K.  He tries the odd thing, which I've got to tell you, makes my day!

No, the reason I never stood a chance is that Hubby and I eat different foods.  VERY different foods.  I'm a vegetarian...though not full-fledged.  I do eat fish, eggs & cheese.  And the cheese with the casein in it.  Have you tried casein-free cheese?

DIS-GUS-TING!

Hubby is anything but vegetarian.  He's Scottish.  Meat & potatoes...that's my man.  With a bit of rice thrown in and cheese pizza, fish & chips (pub style)...

You get my drift.

It's not easy.

In my single days I cooked a lot for myself.  Veggie Sheppard's Pie, Stir-frys galore, Tofu creations, Fish, etc, etc.

I've become a bit lazy since becoming a mom (I wonder why), but that's all going to change.  I'm going back to my cooking ways and hopefully I can inspire some 'lil dudes (and one big dude) to come along for the culinary ride.

So this 3-4 meal thing will continue...we'll keep doing it smorgasbord-style.  If I can toot my own horn, though, I've become pretty good at getting everything ready at the same time...well, sometimes...if I try really hard.

Here's what our dinner table looked like last night:  (Guess who ate what?)



SomethingSomething Button

6 comments:

Anna said...

Oh boy, I am right there with you. I'm vegetarian (not vegan but easy on the dairy) and my husband will no eat anything that doesn't have meat in it. My son is pretty open but picky, not demanding meat, just a picky eater. It's so frustrating and time consuming trying to plan all these different meals all week, my trade off is I get my favorite Mexican food on the weekends and my husband picks something up for himself and our son :) That way I get a break from all the extra cooking and planning. So glad I'm not alone on this one but I feel for both of us! That's close to what my dinner table looks like most nights too :)

Kimberly said...

Dude...when I was going through the gallbladder thing I had to make 2 seperate meals. One shitty one for me and a glorious one for the man and the boy child. However, if the boy child liked niether plates, he got nothing. Swear to you. I am not making seperate meals. We grew up with this phrase "Well there are starving kids in China and there will be starving kids on Bouffard road."
Yea, my parents were awesome like that.

Jennifer said...

I normally will make the kids something {they eat the same thing, or they don't eat} and then the hubs and I will eat an adult meal. Occasionally we all eat the same thing, but that's usually when we're eating something simple like pasta. It is incredibly annoying having to make different meals. I hope it ends when they're a bit older. Wish me luck there. ;)

PS> You ROCK! The books came and they are a huge HIT! He's asked to read it every night this weekend and I've started in on the mommy one. I find myself agreeing with so much stuff in there, wish I would have found it a long time ago. Once we're done with it, I know just who I'm going to pass it on to ~ a friend of mine with twin girls who have a similar problem (they've been on Miralax for almost a year I think). I'm hoping it can help her too. Thank you sooo much ~ you are so sweet to have sent them to me. I owe you big time. xo

Mommy Inconsistent said...

I'm so glad he likes his book. You are so welcome. I'm glad to help because as I've said, I've been exactly there!

Mommy Inconsistent said...

Yah, it sucks. Even before Hubs and I had kids it used to be "What are you having for dinner?" "I dunno..what are you having for dinner?" Did I say it sucks?

Mommy Inconsistent said...

I guess the good thing over here is Hubby a lot of times just cooks his own stuff...but my dream is to cook one meal that everyone will enjoy!