Sunday, March 25, 2012

Crazy Or Just Plain Genius?

Sometimes I do something that other Moms may think is just plain crazy.

I've always done it...even when it was just Big T and I at home and I needed to get something done.

But I always weighed the pros and cons.

If I let the kids do something over there - even though it will create a mess to clean up - will it allow me to do something I want over here?

Will it be worth it?

When Big T was Little T, I thought it was.

I thought, if I could just get a few dishes done or make a phone call or just sit and catch my breath, then letting him play in the bag drawer would be worth it.  And OH how he loved playing in the bag drawer.

I know, I know...never play with plastic bags.  But don't worry, I was right
beside him doin' dishes.

Then there was that one time I had to make a very important phone call.  But as all us mums know, the millisecond minute that we get on the phone, there's something or someone, rather, pulling on our pant legs, screaming that they need us RIGHT NOOOOOOW!

So that day, I let this happen:


I haven't changed my ways much.  'Cuz I still see the value in this.  (I know, crazy!)

It's nearing the end of Spring Break here and the weather has been, well, not very spring-like.  Needless to say, the house reflects it.

So in order to keep my sanity I just HAD to clean up a bit, but the boys were after me to play with them more, more, MORE!

It was then that I had an epiphany...a Hallelujah moment...I think I even heard angels sing.

Big T had been asking for flour so he could drive his cars in it.  He just loves doing this.  He'd been asking me all day.   And it couldn't be an easier or cheaper activity...and to tell you the truth, it actually wasn't so hard to clean up.  A bin, some flour and a sheet is all you need.  I can see the appeal actually...so soft to the touch...a very cool sensory experience.

But that's not why I gave in to him.  This was all about me!  I needed a break.

It's so sad that a break for me is cleaning, but I've learned to accept that.

So here are my boys enjoying one of Big T's favourite activities...





Look at that satisfied look

... and I got the dishes done, dinner made and was able to go on Pinterest.

Totally worth it.


11 comments:

Jennifer said...

I'm with you. Whatever keeps 'em occupied! When my boys were little they liked to empty the cabinet of tupperware/plastic containers onto the kitchen floor. Over and over :)

Mommy Inconsistent said...

I knew I wasn't crazy - or at least the only one! ;)

Missy | Literal Mom said...

That flour thing? Is brilliant. And I totally let my kids make messes so I can get stuff done. The NICE thing is mine are now old enough that I can make them clean it up too! Win/win!

CaffeinatedOCMommy said...

You're an AWSOME Mommy Darling! The kids will never forget... xoxo

Brandi said...

I'm the SAME way when I need to get things done. lol I love the flour idea, I should let my son try that with his cars...I'm sure he'd have a blast! :)

Brandi
http://www.yeewittlethings.blogspot.ca

Kristen said...

Oh my! His eyes say it all, don't they?! That looks like a lot of fun. My girls would love to do that!! I have also let my girls do some crazy things to let me get some things done. As long as you aren't letting them play with matches or knives...you're good ;-)

Kimberly said...

That is a genius idea.
Really.
I'm looking for things to keep my son occupied...since I just don't have the energy to play right now. thanks for this.

Mommy Inconsistent said...

You're welcome. I'm always up for helping a fellow exhausted mom. hehe

Mommy Inconsistent said...

Once I overturned this table top that I have and dumped flour in there. My oldest got right down to his underwear and was kind of bathing in the stuff!

Mommy Inconsistent said...

My guys love it. Let me know what he thinks!

Mommy Inconsistent said...

Oh, that is a bonus. I'm still the one here washing flour off cars. One day....