Saturday, August 27, 2011

Bliss Interruptus

Two days ago I found myself alone in my office; the only sound a tap, tap, tap on my computer keyboard.

Bliss...

...that lasted all of 5.3 seconds when I suddenly remembered why I had barricaded myself in my windowless office on what most probably was the nicest day of this summer thus far, and why my mom-in-law came to take the boys out of the house so I could have some time alone.

Oh, I remembered all right.  Heart pounding, eyes as wide as any lemur's, fingers slipping off the keys of the keyboard from nervous sweating, biting my bottom lip, anxious about what awaits me and what will inevitably rule my life come September 6th and for the next 10 or so years.

Dramatic?  Perhaps. Only because I sense a lot of drama coming my way. 

I thought being a SAHM, while rewarding, was/is the hardest job I've ever had/have.  Come this September, my most rewarding job is going to be even harder as I attempt to get two boys out the door before 9am...one to Kindergarten and one to Preschool, lunch packed, snacks prepared.  (I'm for sure going to need a raise - HA!) I'm going to need to gear up for mornings of "Come on, eat your breakfast...you need power!" and "Come and let's do your hair, get you dressed, wash your face, brush your teeth."  And let us not forget "No, you can't play the Wii" and "No, you can't have the iPad; it needs to be charged." 

I think I'm going to look upon these days as easy in comparison.  No more lounging around in our pjs 'til noon...no more last-minute playdates...no more sponteniety and dare I say "inconsistency"?  (Well, maybe just a little)


As I filled up the busy mommy's calendar that adorns my fridge, I felt a bit better.  At least I am now organized (kind of) and have a sense of what's going to occur (sort of) and can prepare myself..."prepare" being the optimal word.  The goal is to prepare everything, food, clothes the night before. 

So that's it.  I'm a bit freaked out at all that I have to do before school starts...new clothes, earthquake kit, indoor shoes, etc, etc, etc, but I'm really going to try to just relax and enjoy it. 

Wow, I can't believe my babies are going to school.

2 comments:

The Good, The Bad, & The Family said...

This is exactly why I went back to work! Staying home with three boys was overwhelming! My hat's off to you! Go rock it mama because i was not cut out for it! Thank God my husband is perfect for the job ;0)

Margaret (@goodbadfamily)

Grumpy Grateful Mom said...

Oh, I was going to be prepared this year. The first day of school I had everything ready to go the night before, but I've been slacking every since. The mornings are now a mad dash to get everything ready to go!