Sunday, December 11, 2011

Santa's Key

"Santa's Key" (Santa not included)

I think it's really important to have family traditions.  I know a lot of people are using The Elf On The Shelf and I attempted that one last year, but after placing the elf high on a shelf in the kitchen and explaining it to Big T, he was so petrified to enter the kitchen (and I'm talking terrified beyond belief) that I knew that tradition was just not for us.

While out shopping I saw something that I thought would be perfect for us.  Not sure of its official name, but I'm calling it "Santa's Key"... (just 'cuz I'm smart like that).

Since we live in a house without a chimney, Big T has asked on occasion how Santa was going to get in to leave presents on Christmas Eve.  I think last year I told him he'd come through the door and he was satisfied, but that just sounded so blah...no magic whatsoever in that answer.

This year I told the boys that I went to a special shop and got a special "magic" key made especially for Santa and that on Christmas Eve we would leave it outside our door so he would be able to come in.  Of course Little K instantly wanted to try it, but I stressed that it was magic and would only work for Santa...he completely understood.  I love how they "believe".

So a new family tradition has begun.  And it only cost $10.95.

6 comments:

The Preppy Girl in Pink said...

Oh, I am loving this so much more than that darn elf you have to remember to move every night and find 25 different places to put him! This key is actually really sweet. Any child would love the magic behind this!

Liz Mays said...

I think it's a perfectly brilliant explanation!

Liz Mays said...

By the way, your mug for Kim was just too cute!

Jessica said...

This is a brilliant family tradition and in my opinion better than the Elf on a Shelf. Those things are creepy.

Grumpy Grateful Mom said...

Oh, I love this! And I haven't seen it before. Our elf on the shelf hasn't been so successful this year (sigh) and there are SO many people doing it. For some reason, that makes it not quite as fun.

Kimberly said...

That's a great idea.
I couldn't partake in the Elf on the Shelf...mostly because I'm totally creeped out by it. And I'm sure that my husband would find some way to haunt me with it.